Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Go home doggie

Yesterday I set out for my "long run".  I needed to do 10 miles, but I figured I would only go 7-8.  I've been running with a water belt and carrying energy gummies for when I reach mile 5 or so.  I love my long run route.  There are several roads on it where I have a great view of Lake Norman and it's just beautiful.  It's so funny that I live so close to the lake, and I yet I hardly ever get to go out on it.  .

I hit about mile 5 in this upscale neighborhood near the lake.  I usually see people out walking their dogs.  For the record, I am not a dog person.  I did not grow up with dogs; we always had cats.  One of my childhood friends had 2 great danes that always scared the crap out of me.  I think this led to my distrust of dogs.  When I'm running and I see a dog, I generally get out of its way.  I do not want to pet your dog, I do not want to look at or talk to your dog.  When I see dogs behind fences and they bark at me, usually it scares me, just because I am not expecting it.  I have since learned which houses have dogs in the yard and look to see if they are out.  I also have learned which houses have those invisible fences for dogs.  Those dogs want to chase me, but they know they can't.

Yesterday in this upscale neighborhood a little white Scottie type dog ran up alongside of me.  I thought he was going to bite me, so I ran faster.  I looked around for the owner, and there was not one to be found. He didn't want to bite me, he just wanted to run with me.   I tried to shoo him off, but it didn't work.  I ran out of the neighborhood and up the main road, Route 73, Sam Furr Rd.  This is a very busy road where they just recently build a sidewalk.  I turned onto the sidewalk, but the little dog decided to cross the busy street.  Wheels screeched.  Then the little dog decided that was a bad idea and crossed back again, towards me.  Cars slammed on brakes.  Luckily the dog did not get hit.  I was going to have to do something.  I ran towards the dog and yelled, "GO HOME DOG!" It took a few times, but he headed off towards home.

Sigh.  Dogs.  I ended up running about 8.5 miles. I hope that dog got home ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment