Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Protein - how much is enough for weight loss?

I am a big fan of protein.  It helps repair muscles, it keeps you full, and it can help you lose weight.  Remember the Atkins Diet?  I loved eating all that meat, but after awhile, it just grossed me out.  Just how much protein should you eat every day?  It depends on who you ask.  Yesterday I found myself in a new vitamin shop looking around.  I had an hour to kill while my daughter went to tutoring.  The good looking kid behind the counter offered to answer my questions.  I told him about my weight loss and workout schedule.  Then we went through what I ate that day.  He told me that I wasn't eating enough, and that I needed to add more carbs before my workout(I hadn't eaten any that day) and to add more protein. I ended up buying some protein powder to use as an after workout recovery drink.  This does not really go along with my last post on avoiding processed foods, but oh well. 
My protein powder and "free" shaker bottle

Today at 9Round I asked my trainer about the protein supplements.  He was against them for weight loss.  I told him that I usually ate a string cheese or Greek yogurt after my workout, and he said that he didn't think that was enough.

I do agree that some days I am not eating enough of the right foods, and probably not enough protein.  Yesterday I felt hungry all day, until I tried that protein shake.  According to Web MD: "When shedding pounds sensibly, the goal is to lose body fat but maintain lean muscle mass. Protein helps you do that. Protein foods tend to be more filling, so they delay hunger, making it easier to stick with your weight-loss program. Just keep an eye on the calories and portion sizes of your protein choices when including them in meals and snacks."

From Dr. Oz's website : "The US Department of Agriculture recommends that all men and women over the age of 19 should get at least 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day (or 0.37 grams per pound). That means a woman who is 130 pounds should get at least 48 grams of protein, which could look like 7 ounces of salmon or 7 eggs. However, that’s the bare minimum requirement. Depending on your daily activities, you still may not be getting enough."

According to Women's Health Magazine: "Multiply your weight by 0.36 for the recommended daily amount of protein (in grams) that you should be consuming. Then double that number. That’s about 110 grams of protein per day for a 150-pound person or slightly more if you’re pregnant, breastfeeding, super-active, or elderly. (Find out how many grams of protein are found in chicken, fish, cheese, and more here.) Just make sure you also cut back on carbs and fat while you’re at it. Otherwise, you’ll eat more calories overall—a surefire recipe for weight gain."

I calculated the protein powder in terms of Weight Watchers points.  It comes out to 4 points per shake, with 34g of protein.  So I'll add that into my 26 base points that I get per day.  I also earn 6 extra points every time I do 9Round, so it basically evens out.  I will aim for a goal of at least 100 grams of protein a day. 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many days per week do you workout? I've written a few things about calculating intake, macro intakes, and metabolism. One post of mine: http://bodynsoil.com/blog/2013/06/eating-more-to-speed-metabolism/ explains in detail. Keep me posted, I'd like to know your thoughts. I also have a post on protein. http://bodynsoil.com/blog/2011/11/nutrition-series-proteins/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Currently I work out 5-6 days /week. I just read both of your posts above, thanks! I agree that you have to eat enough so that your body runs like a Ferrari, not a Prius! It's a matter of retraining my brain after a lifetime of failed dieting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laraine:
    I lost 55 pounds at age 55 by increasing protein while cutting way back on starchs! Now I try to stay around 50-60 grams of protein/day! It works for me...

    ReplyDelete