Thursday, August 14, 2014

Exercise makes a difference

I have been on lots of diets.  One of the most drastic diets that I went on was one where I was only eating 500 calories a day.  This was through one of those weight loss centers where they also wanted you to buy their processed powders, soups, shakes, etc.  I didn't exercise at all (I probably would've passed out anyway) and I lost weight. Needless to say this diet didn't last long. I'm sure I lost muscle along the way too. 

Years ago I used to have a Weight Watchers leader that said, "You don't have to exercise to lose weight, but you might not like the way you look when you get to your goal weight."  My friend Courtney used to call this "skinny - fat", where you're skinny, but have flabby skin, and no muscle tone.  And who wants that?

There have been many points in my life where I only dieted, and didn't exercise. I was too tired, there was no time, work was too stressful, blah blah blah.   There were also times where I exercised ALOT but didn't watch what I was eating. I figured that if I just ran 7 miles, that I could eat that cheeseburger and fries because I'd "earned it".  The times where I have regularly exercised, plus counted calories, were the times where I have been the most successful.  This is not rocket science.  We all know this, but it's still hard to do. 



About 5 months ago I started working out at a place called 9Round.  It is like cross fit, with kickboxing and boxing gloves, and some weights.  We do situps, pushups, jumping jacks, lunges, burpees, and other exercises with no name. Today the trainer had me pick up a very heavy sandbag (I'd swear it was at least 50 pounds) and carry it back and forth across the gym.   It's hard.  I sweat.  A lot.  But I see my body changing for the better in ways that it never did with aerobics or running.  I am actually starting to feel strong.  I can also throw a mean left hook. So look out!

5 comments:

  1. I loved boxing when I did it. I think it's a great mental health exercise, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better to punch a bag than someone else! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started kick boxing at the beginning of July..I LOVE it!! Feel myself getting stronger..and I know this will help with my C25K program too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so guilty of overeating after a workout because I "earned" it - a good reminder to be honest with ourselves about both diet AND exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I trained for and ran a half marathon in 2010, with the sole goal of losing weight. I trained for 12 weeks, ran 13.1 miles on race day, and was still 30 pounds overweight. I did not lose a pound!

    ReplyDelete