Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Birthday Cake for Breakfast

Today is my daughter's 10th birthday.  So of course we had birthday cake for breakfast.  It's a family tradition that I think my mother (or maybe her mother?) started a long time ago.  Today it was chocolate cake with peanut butter / cream cheese frosting.  I haven't yet calculated the WW points, but I think it's like 15 or so. 


When you start off your day with birthday cake for breakfast, it can be hard to get back on track for the rest of the day.  Right after I took the kids to school I went to 9Round and worked out.  It was a lot of push ups today.  At the end the trainer took us all around the block for a .4 mile run.  He is fast.  The 4 other women were fast.  I am not fast, as you know, but I did manage to keep up.  I realized that without my headphones in I can hear how hard I breathe when I run.  I had been thinking about signing up to run the Huntersville Half Marathon, and doing training with Fleet Feet.  But after running just a little bit today I think that a half marathon might be just out of my reach at this point. Or maybe the chocolate cake that I ate wasn't doing me any favors as my sugar levels were surely crashing at that point.

When I ran the Kiawah Half Marathon with Team in Training in 2010, I was the same weight that I am now.  So maybe I could do it.  I think that I just need something different to motivate me.  After 20+ weeks of Weight Watchers and 9Round I am backsliding.  I'm sneaking a bite here and a taste there.  I'm blowing it on the weekends.  I want to just give up already and quit.  But I can't quit, because Halloween is just around the corner.  Then it's Thanksgiving, and then Christmas.  And I don't want to put the weight back on that I've worked so hard to lose. 

Soooo anyone want to run the Huntersville Half with me on Dec 13?  It almost goes past my house.  And as my friend Huey once told me, if the race goes through your neighborhood, you should be running in it. 

Here's the link: Huntersville Half

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your daughter, and kudos to you for having your cake and eating it too! I think it's great that you are reaching out for support when you feel the backsliding begin. Don't give up! You're worth the effort! Now I'm contemplating having cake for lunch...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patty! Sorry to get you thinking about cake for lunch!

      Delete
  2. Huey's right. That's the rule. :-) But...If you haven't been running much, getting up to speed for a half marathon in 12 weeks may be too much and risking injury. Nothing kills fitness progress like injuries. Except maybe eating cake for breakfast. :-)

    If you are backsliding, you definitely need to change it up. Looks like summer is almost gone so being outside should be very enjoyable for the next few months. Go find some trails to hike/run. Maybe take a bike ride. Find a training partner.

    Hang in there. You're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I did just get a (used) bike recently. Maybe I will take it for a spin.

      Delete