Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Traveling and eating

I am really good most of the time at staying on my food plan when I am in my own house.  Especially when the kids are at school and my husband is at work.  It's just when I leave the house and am around other people that the temptations kick in.  This is called LIFE.  Last week I had the opportunity to go with my husband to New York City while he did some work there.  New York City is one of my all time favorite places to visit.  I used to travel there all the time when I was working as a clothing buyer. 


Hubs and me on a sailboat cruise
I have heard all the tricks for sticking to a food plan while travelling, and I didn't follow any of them.  At the airport we were upgraded to First Class, which was awesome.  The stewardess came around with a basket of chips and cookies.  I could've passed it up.  I didn't.  What is it about free food and drinks that makes me believe that they are also calorie free??  I made some good food choices, like fish and vegetables at dinner.  I made some not great choices like dessert and wine every night.  I made an effort to be active on this trip, because I knew I would be eating more than usual.  I packed my shoes and went running on the High Line, which was great.  My husband and I rented bikes and rode through Central Park on Saturday morning.  We also did tons of walking.  I did manage to avoid some of my usual NYC temptations like black and white cookies and bite size designer cupcakes. 


Me running on the highline
 
A note about the bike riding:  Central park is very hilly, which I had forgotten about.  My husband and I are not bike riders, but we thought this would be fun.  The hills just about did us in.  Going up some of those hills I was going so slow that runners were passing me.  I did really enjoy it, once I got over my fear of shifting gears on the bike.  I also liked the fact that there were no cars in the park on Saturday morning.  Just LOTS of runners, cyclists, and walkers. 


Lady Liberty









I suppose that if I was stricter with my food choices, I would be further along with my weight loss by now.  I have been about 1 pound away from hitting the 20 pound goal for about a month now.  I don't suppose that I'll hit that goal this week, but I will keep going.  Sometimes it's more fun to enjoy the journey than to worry about losing one more pound. 


Freedom Tower







2 comments:

  1. Great idea to add in the exercise. Good compromise. Looks like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun! Can't wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete