Thursday, March 30, 2017

Cyclebar

I used to be really into cycling classes in the late 90's.  My Gold's Gym built a new room with bikes and loud music and crazy instructors.  It was a nice break from all my step classes. (HA, step classes!) I stopped cycling completely when I was pregnant with my first child, and that was the end of that.  Over the years I've taken a spin class here and there at different gyms, but they were usually pretty boring and the seats were not comfortable at all.

Fast forward to 2017 and here comes Cyclebar.  They just built one in the Lake Norman area near me, and for their Grand Opening, the first 2 weeks all the classes were free.  A friend convinced me to go to a class with her.  Since it was free and all, why not?  I signed up online and registered for the class.  I got to pick which bike I wanted to ride.  I chose the back row so no one would notice if I stopped pedaling mid class.  Once I arrived at the Cyclebar, everyone was more than helpful.  They give you cycle shoes that clip in to the pedals on the bike.  You also can pick up a cool water bottle, chilled or room temp water, and bananas.  They provide free lockers to stow your shoes, keys, phone, and all your stuff.  Once inside the cycle room, there is a clean towel for you on your bike (you'll need it).  There were a few people that came around to help you adjust the bike to the right height, and they also helped with the clip in pedals.

the studio
Once the class starts, you can adjust the tension on your bike to go easier or harder.  The instructor offers a guide to where you should be, but you can always do what's better for you.  The music is great in these classes.  They try to match the beat of the music to the pace that you should be peddling.  There's also a part where you pick up either a 4 pound or 6 pound bar (or both) and do some basic arm work.  I found this part to be kinda silly / easy, but it was a nice break for my legs.  A big screen display occasionally shows all the participants names and where you rank in the class compared to everyone else.  My goal was to not be last.  My friend Susie's goal was to be first.  She does triathlons and came in with her own biking shoes. Both Susie and I met our goals :)

After the longest 50 minutes of your life, the class is over.  At the end of class they email you your stats on how you did and how many calories you burned.   

Me, Susie, and Diahann after our 1st class
Overall, I would say that I liked it.  I wouldn't want to do it more than once a week, though.  It's a super hard leg workout.  I also noticed that there were people of all shapes and sizes in the classes.  I guess since you can make it harder or easier maybe people are more likely to try it.  If there's one near you, check it out and let me know what you think.



No comments:

Post a Comment