Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Social Media and workout motivation

Confession: I am addicted to Facebook.  If you are reading this, then I bet that you like Facebook, too.  It's fun!  I like seeing pictures of my friends and their kids.  I also like reading my friend's blogs and seeing what race they are running or how their training is going.  One of my high school friends went from a steady diet of donuts and Chick fil a to running a 200 mile relay race last week.  I have a few friends that I haven't seen in years that have reached out to me to tell me how my posts have motivated them to start exercising again.  That makes me feel great!  And it's all because of social media.

 
I have been running twice a week with a 10k training group.  When we finish running you can see most of us on our phones, posting our runs to Facebook.  It's pretty funny to think about, actually.  I don't think "serious" runners would post their runs to Facebook.  I think serious runners don't even run with their phones.  What if someone sends you an important text?? I can't miss that!

I think that social media can motivate you toward your goals.  I'm a member of a few Weight Watchers groups on Facebook.  One posts pictures of what they are eating.  One is a support group for our particular Weight Watchers meeting.  I also follow people like 100 Days of Real Food and Organize Yourself Skinny through Facebook.  If ever I need motivation, I can go to any of these pages and see people who are getting it right, and sometimes people who are getting it very wrong. Both seem to motivate me to do better.  Pinterest is another good place to get ideas for recipes, workouts, and everything under the sun.  Follow me on Pinterest if you'd like! I'm always looking for new ideas. 

I'm running a 5K on Saturday.  I'm hoping to finish with a personal record (that's "PR" in serious runner-speak).  I'll be sure to post my results to Facebook, just so y'all will know that it really happened :)

No comments:

Post a Comment