Wednesday, February 25, 2015

It takes effort

Recently my husband decided to lose weight along with me.  His basic theory on weight loss is just don't eat (much).  Which is great in the short term, and if you're a man.  Otherwise you are going to have to make some effort to lose weight.  This revelation hit me in the Weight Watchers meeting last week.  Our leader was talking about how she still weighs and measures her food.  I realized that I will be measuring my 1 tablespoon of coffee creamer every morning from now until forever.  Which kinda sucks.  It takes effort.  And how much effort are you willing to make?

I remember being in middle school and having a very skinny friend named Amy.  Amy could eat whatever she wanted and never seemed to gain weight.  I remember thinking that if I could get as skinny as she was, then I would be "cured" of my weight problem.  Sadly, it doesn't work that way.  For me, it will always take effort.  How much effort I make directly affects how much weight I lose.  And isn't it a drag sometimes? Tracking points, measuring portions, prepping meals, planning ahead, working out, ect.  Some days I don't want to make the effort.  I want to sit on the couch and eat Girl Scout cookies.  Never mind that my favorite ones are 2 points per cookie!

At my weigh in last week I hit 25 pounds lost.  It was a really major goal for me.  I have been doing Weight Watchers since April.  Some weeks I really make an effort, some weeks (like October through December) I don't.  I recently joined a 10K running group.  Major effort! Over the next 12 weeks we will meet twice a week and build up our mileage until we get to 6.2 miles (10K).  Our first run was last Saturday.  It was about 25 degrees and snowing, but we did logged 3.7 miles.  It was supposed to be 3 miles, but Diahann and I got lost. 

So go out and make the effort.  It might kinda suck, but it will be worth it.  20 pounds to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment