Tuesday, November 10, 2015

13.1 / Take me away

When I was little my Dad ran marathons.  I remember on his "long run" Saturdays he would be gone for hours, running.  I never had much interest in running.  However my sister and I both ran track, and my sister ran cross country.  My sister went on to run marathons, but not me.  I was too heavy and it just made me miserable to try to run more than a mile or so.

The year I turned 40 I read an article about how to do a couch to 5k running program, and decided to try it.  I started on the treadmill at the gym.  I couldn't even make it one minute without stopping.  Who was I kidding?  I decided my first goal was to make it a minute without stopping.  My next goal was to make it through one song without stopping.  That song I listened to was "Pocketfull of Sunshine" by Natasha Bedingfield.  I imagined that song was "taking me away".

I completed that first 5k in 2009.  Back then both my husband and I were working full time, I was travelling every month for work, and we had a nanny for our 3 kids.   I kept running, and did more 5k's, a 10k, and then decided to attempt a half marathon.

In 2010 I ran a half marathon with Team in Training.  We trained for 12 weeks, running with the group twice a week.  I raised over $2500 for Leukemia and Lymphoma research.  The group motivated me to keep going, and to work for something greater than myself. The race itself was in Kiawah, SC in December.  A flat, fast course sounded great to me after training in my hilly neighborhood.  The day of the race it was pouring rain and cold. Let's just say it was NOT a pleasant race.  I finished in just under 3 hours.  I walked a lot of it, but I finished.  Apparently I had strep throat and didn't know it at the time.  The day after the race I went into work, and was told that my job was being eliminated, 2 weeks before Christmas.  Good times.

Fast forward to 5 years later and life has changed a bit.  I'm now a stay at home Mom, PTA president, and small business owner.  I'm also a runner.  Sometimes I hate running and sometimes I love it.  I decided a few months ago to start training for the Huntersville half Marathon.  The route goes right past my house and through my hilly neighborhood.  Due to a busy fall schedule, I have been training by myself.  Sunday I ran 8.2 miles.  Hopefully this half marathon will be much different than my first one.  It's just me, competing against my harshest critic, myself.

2 comments:

  1. I'm training for something different, but it's still training. I don't know what will encourage you, but I say keep going and keep at it. My coach says consistency is the key - and that's what I'm working on. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! Yep, just keep at it, that's what I do. It's too easy just to stop and never re start. Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete