Thursday, September 4, 2014

Johnny Cash and candy bars

Today while I was working out at 9Round, a Johnny Cash song came on.  I think it was Folsom Prison Blues.  A strange song for the gym, for sure.  Right as I recognized it as Johnny Cash singing, I immediately thought of big tables piled with candy bars.  This is not the best thought to have as I was trying to punch the bag and do burpees (have I mentioned that I hate burpees?). 
Johnny Cash in 1974

I'm sure that most people do not associate Johnny Cash with candy bars.  Let me explain.  In the mid 1970's my family lived in Virginia, and my Dad worked for a manufacturing company.  For their company picnic, they had Johnny Cash come and sing one year.  It was outside, in the summer, and it was hot.  Johnny was scheduled to sing after lunch.  I couldn't tell you what we ate for lunch, because all I remember was what was for dessert: candy bars.  Long tables had been piled high with all different kinds of candy bars, hundreds of them.  There were Reese's Cups, Milky Ways, 3 Musketeer's, Snickers, and they were all FULL SIZE.  Not the little Trick or Treat ones! My 7 year old self couldn't wait to dive in.  Other kids were filling Ziploc bags full of candy bars.  However my parents told me and my sister that we had to wait until Johnny Cash sang before we could get any of the candy.  Our complaints fell on deaf ears and we were forced to sit quietly and watch the show. 

We sat under tents in the summer heat and listened to him play and sing.  I had no idea who he was and couldn't have cared less.  All I could think about was the candy bars.  Finally after what seemed like hours, we went over to the tables to get our candy. It was ALL GONE. Every last candy bar had been taken. I was devastated.  Stupid Johnny Cash had kept me from my candy!

And now, 38 years later, I still associate Johnny Cash with candy bars.  Totally bizarre, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment