Monday, August 18, 2014

Small changes

Losing weight and getting in shape can be intimidating and overwhelming.  Sometimes the number of things that you have to remember can keep you from even getting started.  On my run/walk yesterday I seemed to be having all sorts of relatively small problems.  My headphones didn't work, it was hot out, I felt tired, etc.  Instead of getting a long 4 mile walk in like I'd planned, I stopped at 2 miles.  In retrospect, just a few years ago, a 2 mile walk would have been nearly impossible for me.  Back then I was only walking on the treadmill for 15 minutes at a time, a few days a week.  But I had committed to a small change, and it was one that I could handle. Over time (a LONG time!)  that small change added up all the way to a half marathon that I completed in 2010.  

What's the smallest, most realistic thing that you could do this week to move you toward your goals? Here's some for me:
Drink more water throughout the day
Eat a different healthy breakfast every day
Try one new healthy recipe for dinner this week

How is doing that small thing going to help you?
Water will keep me hydrated and possibly help to keep me from getting hungry.
Breakfast will start my metabolism and get my day off on the right foot.
New dinner ideas mean that my family eats what I eat, and we all get to try a new healthy meal.


So pick something to focus on this week.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing.  Have a great week!




No comments:

Post a Comment