Monday, December 7, 2015

The Taper

I'm less than a week away from running the Huntersville Half Marathon!  This morning my husband asked me if I was ready for the race.  I automatically answered no.  One minute I think I'm ready, and the next I'm kinda freaking out. I ran my last long run of 12 miles the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  From there until race day on 12/12/15, I'm in the phase of training known as the "taper".




What is a taper?  According to Runner's World, tapering means reducing the volume of your weekly training mileage during the final two to four weeks leading up to the race.  Tapering allows muscle glycogen stores to return to peak levels. Metabolic enzymes, antioxidants, and various hormones, depleted during training, return to their optimal ranges. Muscle and connective tissues repair and strengthen. And, the body’s immune system improves dramatically too. In short, tapering allows your body to prepare for peak performance. One study concluded, “The primary aim of the taper should be to minimize accumulated fatigue, rather than to attain additional physiological adaptations or fitness gains." Makes sense when you read it, but I keep thinking that I should run more! Train harder! I've been training for 12 weeks now, so I think that I can do it, but it's just overwhelming to think about it.

Last week I only ran one day, for 4.26 miles.  I did 2 days of 9Round Kickboxing and then felt incredibly sore in my hamstrings for 3 days.  No more 9Round until after the race.  Need to save those legs.  Today I ran 6 miles.  It felt pretty good, but not my best run ever.  I was only planning to do 5, so I didn't take any water with me.  That was a bad decision; I really could have used a drink by mile 4.  I passed my friend Angela a few times on my route today, or rather, she passed me while we were running uphill!  She's running the half marathon too.  She's much faster than me, and in much better shape.  I really appreciate all the tips she has given me on speed work and running those darn hills!  Maybe someday I will be fast enough to run with her.

5 days to go until race day!  There's no turning back now!


5 comments:

  1. Rest and enjoy the taper! Good luck with your race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds of a joke.
    A guy bet that he could eat two loaves of bread in a short time and keep it in. When it came to actual contest he lost. He could not understand why. He trained that day and had no problem eating two loaves early in the morning.
    This is very interesting article. I am not a runner, I actually hate it. Good for you! I think it builds character. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I will try to remember not to eat any bread, or run, before my race on Saturday :)

      Delete
  3. Peak Kickboxing / Jiu Jitsu is a Martial Arts & Fitness Gym serving the Denver area. Centrally located in Lakewood this fully equipped Mixed Martial Arts School offers Muay Thai Denver kickboxing, Denver Jiu Jitsu, MMA training Denver, & Kids Karate & Martial Arts classes. We offer a FREE 30 Day trial to check out the classes and instructors. Students love the motivational atmosphere and the level of attention that the coaches give. If your searching for a Denver Martial Arts or Kickboxing class near Denver take a free trial with Peak Kickboxing / Jiu Jitsu and you will get inspired! Safest, Cleanest and Funnest place to start training in Mixed Martial Arts. Come give one of our awesome classes a try and check out our facility!


    Address: 9650 East Arapahoe Road Greenwood Village, CO, 80112

    Phone: (303) 799-4804

    business email: Info@kickboxingdenver.com

    ReplyDelete