Monday, June 20, 2016

Ramblin Rose #2



On June 6, 2016, I completed my 2nd triathlon.  It was a Ramblin Rose Series in South Charlotte. You can read about all the Ramblin Rose races here.  It was a bit shorter than my last one, with a 200 meter swim, 8 mile bike, and 2 mile run.  I decided to do it really at the last minute, since I had to go out and buy a bike.  My sister had loaned me her bike last year, but when my race was over she wanted it back.  I didn't really understand at the time what a nice bike it was.  I now realize that it was a several thousand dollar bike.  I plunked down $500 at Dick's for my new road bike.  No small sum by any means, but I'm really not happy with this bike.  It's just not as smooth and fast as my sister's bike.  It's like I learned to ride on a Ferrari, and now I drive a Honda.  The Honda's fine, don't get me wrong, but it's no Ferrari.

The race started with the swim, which is my strength.  I swam at the end of the fastest swimmers, ranking myself a level 9 swimmer, with 10 being the highest.  That was a good spot for me.  I didn't have to pass anyone, and no one passed me.  I was done in 6:26.  Next was the bike.  The course was 2 loops, which I didn't like.  I don't like to pass the same stuff twice.  I just couldn't get up the hills fast enough.  I felt like the chain kept catching when I would shift gears and I was afraid I would completely wipe out. We also went down some pretty busy roads, and the car drivers were not the friendliest.   The 8 miles on the bike took me 38:36.   When I was finally done with that, I had to convince my legs to run 2 miles.  That's my hardest transition.  My legs were like lead.  I popped a few energy chews and grabbed my bottle of water.  I just had to walk for the first few minutes.  I basically ran / walked the 2 miles, which was fine.  I passed plenty of people younger than me.  They write your age on the back of your leg for just this purpose, I think.  I finished the 2 miles in 22:31.  My overall time was 1:12.22.  I was 20th out of 49 in my age group. And overall 162 out of 307.  I wasn't last :) and I finished, which is always my goal.

I'll probably do another triathlon in Huntersville, NC in September.  I really need to figure out what I'm going to do with this bike.  I'll take it in to Dick's and have them look at it for starters.

Want to join me in September?  Sign up! Here's the link: http://ramblinroseevents.com/charlotte-tour-home/charlotte-race-info/ I've inspired at least one friend to start training for the September race.  If you know how to swim, and you have a bike, you can do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment